Are you looking for an easy method of cleaning the tile in your home? Perhaps you have been putting off doing the task because you think that it will take a significant amount of time. The process of cleaning your tiles will likely be less time consuming if you clean them on a regular basis, because doing so will aid in reducing the amount of mold and residual soap scum that builds up on the surfaces of tile and grout.
What You Will Need
Old Toothbrush or a Grout Brush
**Grout Cleaning Agents (Bleach, homemade solution, or store-bought cleaners)
Tile Cleaning Spray or Clean Water
Dry Mop, Broom and Dry Cloth
Bucket for Water
**(You can make your own environmentally friendly tile and grout cleaner by mixing vinegar and baking soda into a paste consistency. Refrain from using bleach or bleach-based products in areas with dark-colored tile due to the risk of the cleaning agents fading the tile. Do not mix vinegar and baking soda to use on marble tiles. Instead, mix baking soda and water only if you desire a green cleaning solution because the acidity of the vinegar may damage marble tiles.)
- Put on gloves.
- Remove loose debris and traces of dust with the broom or dry mop on tiled floors. If you are cleaning tiled walls, wipe across them with the dry cloth to remove traces of dust.
- Clean the grout area first. Begin by applying the cleaning solution you decided to use. Allow the solution to sit for 30 minutes or more depending on how badly stained your grout is. Allowing it to sit will aid in the solution penetrating through the grout.
- Use the grout brush or an old toothbrush to clean the grout. Add more of the cleaning solution as needed if you discover areas with stubborn stains.
- Use clean water to rinse away the grout cleaner.
- Apply the tile cleaner or clean water to the tiles. This step is necessary if you are aiming for your tiles to sparkle. It can also aid in removing water stains left behind from the grout cleaning process. Use the dry towel to manually dry the tile on tiled walls and the mop to finish cleaning tiled floors.
If you determine that cleaning tile is too time-consuming or your tile and grout still appears dirty despite your cleaning efforts, a cleaning company that offers tile cleaning as one of their services is a good resource to use. You may also want to consider adding stain resistant grout between tiles if grout stains are a constant issue for you. Keep in mind that regular cleaning is one of the best defenses against stained grout.
Contact a service like Leo's Holland Floor Maintenance for more help.